A cancer can occur in almost any part of the body and the key signs and symptoms of cancer or different kinds are different as well. Here is a list of five types of cancer and the signs and symptoms associated with each of them.
Breast cancer can happen to both, women and men. Symptoms of breast cancer in women include:
- Lump: An abnormal growth in the breast that can be felt with touch. It is usually hard but painless.
- Pain: In the breast or just the nipples.
- Nippleretraction: The inward turning of the nipples.
- Change in skin: A reddened or scaly nipple or breast is a sign.
- Nipple discharge: Fluids other than milk.
- Skin irritation: Inflammation of dimpling of the skin of and around the breast.
Key signs and symptoms of cancer of the breast in men include lump/s, skin dimpling, reddening and scaling chest, and nipple discharge and nipple retraction similar to that in the case of women.
The signs of cervical cancer are usually only noticed when the cancer has become invasive and spreading rapidly. The symptoms include:
- Vaginal bleeding: Do not ignore post-menopausal bleeding or bleeding in between periods assuming it is just normal irregularity of periods. Vaginal bleeding after intercourse is also not normal.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge: Any discharge with or without blood (apart from the usual feminine fluids) is a reason to consult a doctor.
- Painful intercourse: No matter how wild you and your partner may otherwise be, the intercourse part must be gentle and not painful. If you feel pain during intercourse that is supposed to be pleasurable for you, it is something to worry about.
Also known as rectal cancer, colon cancer and bowel cancer, colorectal cancer comes with the following symptoms:
- Bowel obstruction: Including bleeding, constipation and painful bowel movement giving way to nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea: Bleeding from the anus.
- Pain: In the belly or/and the lower body around the pelvic region.
- Weight loss: Accompanied with weakness and fatigue.
- Constriction: Almost involuntary constriction of the rectum along with a feeling that you need to pass bowel when you don’t.
The key signs and symptoms of cancer of the oral cavity are many including:
- Sores or swellings in the mouth: Painful sores will just not heal on its own.
- Lump in the mouth: Or thickening of the cheeks and the entire mouth.
- Patches: Appearance of white or red patch/es on the tongue, gums or anywhere in the mouth.
- Problem eating: Trouble chewing or/and swallowing and a constant sensation of something caught in the throat.
- Loss of sensation: Numbness in any part of the mouth, especially the tongue, is a sign.
- Bad breath: This is one of the first symptoms but often ignored as just bad breath.
Key signs and symptoms of cancer of the prostate include:
- Impotence: Erectile dysfunction.
- Hematuria: Blood in urine.
- Pain: In the pelvic area and back.
- Weakness: The legs and feet can become weak and numb.
- Urinary problems: Resulting from loss of bladder control and a constant urge to urinate.
There are many other types of cancers with similar as well as unique symptoms to look out for.